Published: Sat, July 13, 2019
Entertaiment | By Minnie Bishop

Intruder breaks into Buckingham Palace while Queen sleeps

Intruder breaks into Buckingham Palace while Queen sleeps

A 22-year-old man has been arrested after climbing over the front gates of Buckingham Palace while the Queen was in residence.

"A man managed to jump over the gates of Buckingham Palace but he was quickly and successfully apprehended by police on the scene", a palace insider said.

The intruder was not carrying any weapons and the incident is not being treated as terror-related, according to Scotland Yard.

The incident occurred nearly exactly 37 years after labourer Michael Fagan's famous intrusion into the palace on July 9, 1982.

The Sun newspaper reported it had taken four minutes for officers to detain him and in the meantime he had banged on the doors of the 93-year-old queen's home while she was asleep inside.

Last year, a homeless man was found sleeping on its grounds. This has led to fears that the 22-year-old was trying to copy Fagan as he would have known Her Majesty was in residence with her standard flying over the palace.

Kanye West gives Forbes an insight into "billion-dollar" Yeezy shoe empire
I for one will be following this story closely and will be excited when this becomes a reality. Kanye West wants to fight the fact that so many people in his country do not have a home.

The man, the police revealed on Thursday, has since been released from custody, but remains under investigation. He said he had been there a month before, at which time he had a good look around the palace before stealing a snack of cheese and crackers.

"How is it possible all these years later that someone can climb the fence and get right inside the grounds without being stopped immediately?" the source told The Sun. "The Queen's safety should be paramount".

She declined to say whether the Queen had been informed of the incident.

"He was determined to get inside the palace and was banging down the doors but, thank goodness, this time everything was locked up". Luckily, the queen was able to press the panic button in her room to alert the palace that someone had illegally entered the premises.

It was the Queen's long-time aide Paul Whybrew - still employed by the Queen to this day - who came to the rescue.

Like this: