Published: Tue, March 19, 2019
Tech | By Constance Martin

Social Media Companies Struggle To Pull Live Streamed Video Of Mass Shootings

Social Media Companies Struggle To Pull Live Streamed Video Of Mass Shootings

"We would like to remind people that it is an offence to distribute or possess an objectionable publication (under the Films Videos and Publications Classifications Act 1993), which carries a penalty of imprisonment", New Zealand police said in a statement. The company said 1.2 million of those videos were blocked from upload but it's not clear how many people watched the 300,000 videos that made it through the cracks before they were deleted.

Facebook said on Saturday it removed 1.5 million videos globally of the attack in the first 24 hours after the attack and is removing all edited versions of the video that do not show graphic content.

Last year, a live-streamed video game tournament was cut short after a shooter entered the Esports arena and opened fire.

Besides being live-streamed on Facebook, the video, lasting 17 minutes, was shared repeatedly on YouTube and Twitter, before being removed by the social media giant.

It said Sunday that it's trying to take down the video in any form, including clips of it that don't feature any graphic content as well as posts expressing praise or support for the shooting.

"We will continue working directly with New Zealand Police as their response and investigation continues", she said.

While all of the companies said they were actively removing the videos, they appeared to be playing catch-up.

This article has been adapted from its original source. 'We work very closely with companies such as Twitter and Facebook on these issues, and we have worked with them on identifying extremist content. "Our hearts are broken over today's bad tragedy in New Zealand", read the statement.

Barcelona's Dembele out 3-4 weeks because of muscle injury
Messi himself had a night to remember on Wednesday, the day after Ronaldo's heroics, to help Barcelona reach the quarter-finals. Messi counts Juventus as one of the top candidates standing in his way, but it is not alone.

He said: "It's a viral contagion spread through social media, helped by their algorithms".

Their response has been widely condemned, with Home Secretary Sajid Javid saying "enough is enough" and accusing YouTube, Google, Facebook and Twitter of not taking ownership of this content being shared on their networks.

"I think these platforms need to spend much more of their R & D (research and development) on harm prevention and protecting their product, which is my time and your time on their platform'".

The inability of social sites to stop the video circulating was having an effect in other ways in New Zealand.

We have said time and time again that far-right extremism is a growing problem and we have been citing this for over six years now.

At least 50 people died in the attack and another 50 were injured.

New Zealand's Department of Internal Affairs said people posting the video online risked breaking the law. His first tip is when a major incident happens, it's best to avoid social media if there is a concern with seeing violent images.

Jacqueline Helfgott, a professor of criminal justice at Seattle University, said that for some, social media can be a motivator when it comes to committing a crime.

Like this: