Published: Thu, November 01, 2018
Global Media | By Garry Long

Saudi sisters found dead and bound together by New York river

Saudi sisters found dead and bound together by New York river

When their bodies were found last week on the banks of New York's Hudson River, the sisters wore similar black leggings and fur-trimmed jackets, with their feet and waists bound together by duct tape.

They have been identified as Tala Faera, 16, and Rotana Farea, 22 by police, who said they were found fully clothed without any obvious signs of trauma.

The police department released new passport-style photographs on Wednesday showing the two young women with headscarves over their hair. "Those interviews [with relatives in Virginia] are really unraveling in some way a piece of the puzzle of, behind the scenes, what was going on in the two young ladies' lives".

Police sources say they do not believe the sisters died by jumping off the George Washington Bridge, six miles upriver from where their bodies were found by Riverside Park.

Arab News tried reaching the mother of Tala and Rotana for comment but couldn't reach her, and understands that she is in no condition to talk to the media.

Detectives have been in Virginia, where Tala had been reported missing in August, Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea told reporters Wednesday.

The statement said that the case was still under investigation and a forensic report stating the cause of the death hadn't been issued as yet.

Apple's New iOS Releases Today With Group FaceTime & New Emojis
Originally announced and beta tested as part of iOS 12.0, Group FaceTime saw a slight delay that pushed it back into iOS 12.1. Once a Portrait photo is saved in your library, this depth control feature can be accessed from Photos' edit mode.

"We are out to get justice for those two girls and find out exactly what happened", he added.

Tala and Rotana's mother also reported them missing a year ago.

In a statement made public by members of the victims' family on Sunday, "they denied claims that the two sisters had been missing for two months". The medical examiner's office said the bodies were not decomposed when found by a passerby on the afternoon of October 24, indicating they had not been dead long.

Embassy officials said they were "following closely and constantly for details on the case" and had appointed a lawyer to help in this.

Rotana was enrolled at George Mason University, but left in the spring.

When the sisters were located, they asked the police for protection and were placed in a shelter, police told NYT. The Farea sisters were reported missing again, for the second and final time, on August 24.

Like this: