Published: Fri, October 05, 2018
Entertaiment | By Minnie Bishop

Ronaldo left out of Portugal squad again

Ronaldo left out of Portugal squad again

Juventus is showing support for star Cristiano Ronaldo amid rape allegations with a pair of tweets the club shared on Wednesday.

Cristiano Ronaldo was accused of rape by an American woman, Kathryn Mayorga alleged that he raped her, threatened her and bought her silence in 2009, these claims were published by German magazine Der Spiegel and it was denied and called "blatantly illegal" by the Portuguese global and Juventus football Club striker.

Santos used the 33-year-old team captain's absence last month to try out younger players.

Nike has had a contract since 2003 with Ronaldo, who vehemently denies the rape allegation against him.

Meanwhile Portuguese Football Federation president Fernando Gomes has given his "total solidarity" towards Ronaldo as "his good name and reputation are being questioned".

Juventus' Portuguese forward Cristiano Ronaldo smiles during the Italian Serie A football match Juventus vs Napoli on September 29, 2018 at the Juventus stadium in Turin.

On Thursday, Portugal coach Fernando Santos said Ronaldo also will not be called up for the next round of worldwide games in November.

Soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo, one of the wealthiest athletes in the world, is coming under increased pressure from sponsors as he faces rape allegations.

Melania Trump opens Africa tour with babies
But just hours earlier, Mrs Trump was also pictured beaming widely on a well-received trip to the Ghanian capita of Accra. Trump will be visiting three other African countries following her two-day official visit to Ghana. "It's very emotional.

Cristiano Ronaldo drives his vehicle as he leaves after completing a training session at the Juventus center in Turin, Italy, on Thursday.

Juventus appears willing to ignore the rape allegations made against Cristiano Ronaldo because it occurred "almost 10 years ago".

Santos said Ronaldo will not represent Portugal in games against Italy and Poland in November either.

Her lawyer, Leslie Stovall, said yesterday: "She has decided not to make herself available to the media and stay out of the public because of her emotional state".

Electronic Arts has featured Ronaldo on the cover of its EA Sports' FIFA series for two years.

The statement comes in the way of a denial from the player, who said: "Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in".

Mayorga sued Ronaldo last week in civil court, seeking to void a confidentiality and payoff settlement agreement and claim additional damages.

The player has said his conscience was clear and that he would await the results of any investigation.

Like this: