Published: Thu, September 06, 2018
Global Media | By Garry Long

Typhoon Jebi: 2,500-tonne ship SMASHES into Kansai airport bridge

Typhoon Jebi: 2,500-tonne ship SMASHES into Kansai airport bridge

Parts of the runway were reported flooded, while a cargo ship smashed into the only bridge linking the island where the airport is located with Japan's main island of Honshu, reports said.

At least six people have died and 160 people have been injured since the typhoon made landfall, according to Japanese public broadcaster NHK on Tuesday. Television footage showing people lining up to buy food and drinks at a convenience store in the airport.

The storm surge and heavy winds and rains lashed the southern prefectures, flooding Kansai International Airport, one of the country's largest airports.

Japan was lashed by heavy winds, rain, and waves after Typhoon Jebi made landfall.

The Meteorological Agency further said that Typhoon Jebi is expected to cross over the Sea of Japan by late Tuesday, drifting further north, and would weaken to an extratropical cyclone by Wednesday morning.

About 3,000 tourists were stuck overnight at Kansai Airport in western Japan, an important hub for companies exporting semiconductors built on reclaimed land on a bay near Osaka and connected to the mainland by a bridge that was damaged when a tanker slammed into it during the storm.

A man in his 70s died apparently after being blown to the ground from his apartment in Osaka prefecture. By the morning of September 5, it will likely be downgraded to an extratropical storm over the northern part of the Sea of Japan, the JMA said.

A police auto makes through a flooded road following a powerful typhoon in Osaka, western Japan, Tuesday, Sep 4, 2018.

Dorothy’s ruby slippers have been found 13 years after they were stolen
The FBI said no one has yet been arrested or charged in the case, but they have "multiple suspects" and continue to investigate. Journalist based in Charlotte, North Carolina, whose work has appeared in The Charlotte Observer, Creative Loafing, and more.

High waves whipped up by the storm also flooded parts of the seaside airport, where all flights were cancelled, and the severe weather caused power outages and travel chaos across much of the country.

In Higashiomi, Shiga Prefecture, a warehouse collapsed and a 71-year-old man was crushed to death, according to sources including the police department of the prefecture.

A 2,591-ton tanker crashed into a bridge connecting the Kansai airport and the opposite shore around 1:30 p.m.

Almost 800 flights were cancelled, including several global flights departing and arriving at Nagoya and Osaka, along with ferries, local train services and some bullet train lines.

The Universal Studios Japan theme park in Osaka closed for a second day Wednesday but said in a news release it would reopen Thursday.

The typhoon, packing winds of up to 208 km/h (129 mph), left about 1.6 million homes in Osaka and its surrounding areas without power.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe canceled a trip to Kyushu, Japan's southernmost main island, so that he could oversee the government's response to the typhoon, said Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga.

The country is regularly struck by major storms and this summer has been one of extreme weather.

Like this: