Published: Thu, April 05, 2018
Global Media | By Garry Long

Prince Philip recovers in hospital after 'successful' hip operation

Prince Philip recovers in hospital after 'successful' hip operation

The Duke of Edinburgh, 96, had the planned operation to replace his hip today at King Edward VII hospital in central London and is said to be "comfortable".

The 96-year-old was absent from the family's Easter services, which were attended by Queen Elizabeth, Prince William, and Kate Middleton at Windsor Castle.

Philip also missed the Easter Sunday service at St George's Chapel, where his grandson Prince Harry is due to marry Meghan Markle next month.

It is not clear which condition Prince Philip was suffering from.

Prince Philip's health has been the focus of speculation for some time, given his grand age.

Philip, or the Duke of Edinburgh as he is known in Britain, retired from public life last August, quipping at the time that he was no longer able to "stand up much".

Officials declined to provide additional details about the surgery and said "further updates will be issued when appropriate".

Philip announced his retirement from royal duties in May although he still accompanies the Queen on occasion. "I can barely stand up these days".

What the Oklahoma teacher walkout is about
The higher education spending would be paid for by a 6 percent sales tax on a host of services that had previously been tax-free. The bill would also cap the amount of sick leave that teachers can accrue for retirement purposes as of the end of this year.

His final solo engagement was in August previous year, when he reviewed a parade of Royal Marines outside Buckingham Palace in his capacity as Captain General of the corps.

Prince Philip is said to be "progressing satisfactorily at this early stage" after surgery at the King Edward VII's Hospital in London.

The hospital was rated as "requires improvement" by inspectors past year.

During Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee celebrations in June 2012, he was hospitalized for a bladder infection just before his 91st birthday.

Buckingham Palace announced the news in a statement on Tuesday.

In 2013, the royal household said Philip had once again been admitted to the hospital for exploratory surgery after his doctors revealed that it was necessary following "abdominal investigations".

He has been largely blessed with good health, but he has been admitted to hospital with various complaints in recent years.

King Edward VII is the private hospital of choice for the royal family and has been treating members of the monarchy for decades.

Like this: