Published: Sat, January 06, 2018
Sports | By Brett Lawson

Serena pulls out of Australian Open

Serena pulls out of Australian Open

After giving birth to a baby girl last September and hosting a fairytale wedding in New Orleans in November, Serena Williams needs some time to adjust to her new life. As previously reported, she lost an exhibition match last week against Latvian player Jelena Ostapenko at the Mubadala World Tennis Championship in Abu Dhabi.

The 36-year-old explained: "My coach and team always said "only go to tournaments when you are prepared to go all the way".

"We are fully aware that some players are going through a hard period with injuries and that they have done everything possible to prepare for the Australian summer", Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said while talking to The Dependent. "I want to do far better than that and to do so, I will need a little more time". "I appreciate the support and understanding of my fans and everyone at the Australian Open", she added.

The decision did not come easily or quickly for Williams, who is only one Grand Slam title away from achieving an all-time record in wins.

California mom gives birth to twins in different years
Seyed Tamijidi, who delivered the twins, saying he'd never before seen it happen in his 35-years of practice. But her boy Joaquã was born just before the New Year, and daughter Aitana was born 16 minutes into 2018.

Williams is the latest big name to withdraw from the year's opening Grand Slam, which will be played from January 15 to 28, with Britain's Andy Murray (hip) and Japan's Kei Nishikori (wrist) having already said they would not compete.

Serb Novak Djokovic, a six-time Australian Open champion, may also miss out with an elbow injury.

Williams announced on Friday that she would not be defending her title in Melbourne after realising she wasn't up to speed physically in an exhibition encounter in Abu Dhabi last week. There is no word yet on when she will be, but Miami in March may be a good bet.

Like this: