Published: Mon, August 07, 2017
Global Media | By Garry Long

Anambra shooter spoke Igbo while firing worshippers

Anambra shooter spoke Igbo while firing worshippers

"Gov Obiano also visited Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi where the injured are being treated".

He also said that 50 doctors had been mobilised to the hospital to assist in providing the best medical care to the injured persons.

But Anambra State Police Commissioner Garba Umar stated that the deadly incident had been caused by a lone gunman, who "went on a shooting spree, killing and wounding" worshipers.

Garba assured Nigerians that the police were still investigating the matter and that all was under control.

Speaking with reporters after visiting the scene of the attack, Umar said investigation showed that the attacker spoke in Igbo dialect while shooting his victims.Gunmen had invaded the church, during the early morning mass, opening fire on the worshippers.

The gunmen were reportedly dressed in black and their faces were covered.

According to the priest, an unidentified man came into the Church, shot at a man, Chief Akunwafor Ikegwuonwu, before shooting sporadically at other worshippers.

He rejected reports the attack was carried out by Boko Haram militants.

The HBO hackers stole 'thousands' of internal company documents
On July 29, the company alerted its more than 2,500 employees of hack and advised them not to open any suspicious emails. Sometimes when hackers steal data from companies, they seek a ransom in exchange for not publishing the data.

Umar said that no arrests had been made so far.

Emecheta, who is the Managing Director of Anambra Signage and Advertisement Agency, said the losses from the attack were too much for the people to bear.

He described the act as sacrilegious, adding, it was wrong for the perpetrators to extend their quarrel into the church.

Governor Obiano condemned the attack and promised to ensure that the culprits are brought to justice.

Following a distress call, men of the police force rushed there and are presently rescuing the worshippers.

"The hospital authority has confirmed 8 persons dead, and 18 injured", the statement published by police said.

He, however, said that the briefing received from the police revealed that two sons of Ozubulu - who are known drug barons in South Africa - were the prime suspects in the matter having dragged down their drug war to the state.

Like this: