Published: Sun, July 16, 2017
Sports | By Brett Lawson

Ryan Lochte Cleared of Charges in Brazil - Will Prosecutors Appeal?

Ryan Lochte Cleared of Charges in Brazil - Will Prosecutors Appeal?

Ryan Lochte has officially been cleared from charges stemming from his Rio robbery scandal previous year.

Jeff Ostrow is a United States lawyer for Lochte and he said in a statement to USA Today that they are "pleased" by the decision and that the court understood "he committed no crime".

Ryan Lochte was cleared of criminal charges after an appellate court in Brazil determined that he did not break the law.

"We are pleased that the Court has finally dismissed the criminal prosecution against Mr. Lochte, while also acknowledging that he committed no crime while in Brazil".

During an interview with NBC's Matt Lauer last August, per USA Today's Rachel Axon, the 32-year-old Lochte said he was taking responsibility for the incident.

The incident began when Lochte, 32, and three USA swimming teammates, Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen, were returning from a party celebrating the end of the swimming competition at the Rio Games.

Turkey dismisses thousands more on eve of coup anniversary
Avci's earlier film "The Chief" was released in March ahead of an April referendum on boosting the president's powers. We went to the G20 summit and wanted to meet our citizens in hall meetings.

Video captured by surveillance cameras showed the athletes getting into a confrontation with security guards at a gas station.

When the scandal first made headlines last summer, the six-time Olympic gold medalist claimed that he, Jimmy Feigen, Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger were returning to Olympic Village after a night of partying when they were robbed by a group of armed men pretending to be police officers. The 12-time Olympic medalist returned to the US before the Games ended and the charge was filed, but he was given a 10-month suspension by USA Swimming for his behavior in Rio.

According to Brazilian newspaper Globo, Lochte could still face two charges from the public prosecutor. His suspension ended July 1.

The only damage caused by the swimmers at the gas station was the poster that Lochte knocked off a wall.

The Brazilian appeals court ruled in Lochte's favor 2-1 Thursday, attorney Jeff Ostrow told NBC 6.

Lochte previously returned to non-USA Swimming sanctioned competition and is expected to make a run for a fifth Olympic team in 2020.

Like this: