Published: Wed, June 28, 2017
Global Media | By Garry Long

Grenfell Tower fire was started by a fridge-freezer, according to authorities

Grenfell Tower fire was started by a fridge-freezer, according to authorities

Police said on Friday that the fire that engulfed a London tower block killing at least 79 people started in a Hotpoint "WHR.N" fridge freezer and cladding on the building failed all safety tests.

The cladding was installed on the council-owned building as part of a refurbishment completed a year ago.

The specific FF175BP model that burst was not found to be on any previous product recall list or classified as risky in any way.

As many as 11 residential high-rise buildings in eight local authority areas of the country have been found with cladding which raises safety concerns.

Ferrier Point tower in east London was found to have cladding panels with aluminium composite made by Alucobond, it is understood.

"We are not interested in people's reasons for not telling us sooner and as the mayor has already said, people should be not be nervous about contacting us".

"Such is that devastation down at the scene, this may take at least until the end of the year", Detective Superintendent McCormack said, adding, "There is the awful reality that we may not find or identify all those that died during the fire".

Whirlpool said in a statement that 64,000 Hotpoint units carrying the model numbers FF175BP and FF175BG had been manufactured between March 2006 and July 2009.

Refurbishment on the building, including cladding, was overseen by Rydon, the company involved in the refit of Grenfell Tower.

The British government is testing hundreds of high-rise apartments to see if they have exterior tiles that are potentially flammable.

Trump holds first talks with Ireland's new prime minister
The planned trip, scheduled to take place during his presidency, sparked much criticism from Opposition parties in Dublin. Trump congratulated Varadkar on his "great victory" and said he feels like he knows all the Irish people in America.

They further said that the buildings cladding and insulation failed safety tests as the insulation was more flammable than the cladding itself, police have revealed.

The appliance that started the fire was a Hotpoint FF175BP refrigerator and freezer, Detective Superintendent McCormack added.

Police said they are focused on how the blaze started, how it spread and whether any person or organizations should be held responsible.

The UK Home Office says that the tragedy will not be used to check people's immigration status.

Ms McCormack repeated calls for members of the public with information about people who may have been in the tower at the time of the fire to come forward.

"Words can not express our sorrow at this bad tragedy".

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all those involved, including the emergency services who risked their lives to extinguish the blaze and rescue those in the building".

"We have not named the victims or issued further details on request of the families".

"We are working with the authorities to obtain access to the appliance so that we can assist with the ongoing investigations", Whirpool said in a statement. "We will provide additional updates as our investigations progress".

Like this: