Published: Sun, June 11, 2017
U.S. | By Vera Richards

Texas toddlers die after left in car by mom for 15 hours

Texas toddlers die after left in car by mom for 15 hours

Kerr County Sheriff Hierholzer said in a statement: "This is by far the most horrific case of child endangerment that I have seen in the 37 years that I have been in law enforcement".

Amanda Hawkins, 19, from Kerr County, Texas, allegedly left her children Brynn Hawkins, 1, (pictured top right) and Addyson Overgard-Eddy, 2, (top left) in a vehicle overnight and ignored them until they were unconscious and in "grave condition" the following day.

Brynn Hawkins, one, and Addyson Overgard-Eddy, two, died in hospital at about 5pm on Thursday (June 8).

At the time, Hawkins told hospital staff she, her friend and her two daughters had been at a nearby lake smelling flowers when the children collapsed. Hawkins' husband Issac was described by My San Antonio as "estranged" from her and was not present the night his children were left in the auto.

Police didn't say what caused the deaths, but told local news media KABB that temperatures reached more than 30 deg C during the day on Wednesday.

A subsequent police investigation determined that the children had been left intentionally in a vehicle for a 15-hour period Tuesday night through midday Wednesday.

They took the kids in the house, tried to bath them. The sheriff further went on to state that the male friend had gone inside the auto to take a nap during this 15-hour period as well, but then went back in.

Keith Urban wins big at CMT Awards, Underwood makes history
Featuring a plunging neckline, the semi-sheer black lace dress was Kidman's third successful red carpet hat-trick in as many days. Keith also promised to bring his two daughters - Sunday, eight, and Faith, six - to the awards show next year.

Looking on her Facebook page, Hawkins in recent months frequently posted about her kids and said how lucky she felt having them.

When Brynn and Addyson cried during the night, the Walmart employee ignored them even when her friends alerted her. But since the children have died, Hierholzer said her charges could possibly change.

"I think she pretty much admitted to what happened", Hierholzer told Fox 29.

Hierholzer said in the news release that people in the house had reported hearing the two children crying, but that no one had checked up on them.

The girls died Thursday in San Antonio, Hierholzer said, who added the charges against Hawkins might be upgraded.

Hawkins was arrested in San Antonio and was being held on $70,000 bail.

The case is being handled by 216th Judicial District Attorney Lucy Wilke and will be presented to a grand jury, Hierholzer said.

Like this: