Published: Wed, May 17, 2017
Markets | By Erika Turner

Hyundai, Kia Motor accept forced recall

Hyundai, Kia Motor accept forced recall

Hyundai Motor Co and Kia Motors Corp today said they would recall 240,000 vehicles from South Korea after the transport ministry issued its first compulsory recall order over safety defects first flagged by a whistleblower.

If the government decides to force a recall, Hyundai has 30 days to submit the recall plan.

The models under scrutiny include the Hyundai i30 hatchback, Sonata midsize sedan, Genesis and Kia's Mohave and Carnival. As a result, the actual recall is likely to take place in the middle of next month.

Hyundai and Kia, which had previously argued that the flaws presented no danger to driving safety, said in a joint statement on Friday they would cede to the order. However, the ministry said, considering the companies' previous recall cases and the safety of consumers, it decided to make the recall compulsory.

Officials piece together events before nursing home shooting
They report Hartless has a criminal record which dates back to an assault in 1992 and includes three domestic violence charges. In a December police report, she told how he had threatened to murder her and bury her in a grave that he had already dug.

It is generally believed Kim also complained to NHTSA, the USA auto-safety regulator, which ordered a massive recall of 1.2 million vehicles in the US and Canada that were equipped with Theta II engines. Yong Sohn, general manager-global public relations for Hyundai Motor Group, says despite the media announcement the automaker still is awaiting formal notification.

In addition to the latest recall order, the ministry has requested that Hyundai and Kia fix minor faulty parts in nine cases free of charge, and will decide whether or not to force the carmaker to recall cars that may have problems down the line. But it appears inevitable that Hyundai and Kia's reputation for quality and their image overseas will be tarnished by the mandatory recall, which followed a whistleblower's testimony, and by the request for an investigation into allegations that the companies covered up defects.

The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport has ordered the recall across 12 models, including Hyundai Motor's luxury Gensis and Equus sedans and best-selling Avante compact sedans due to faulty auto parts and manufacturing defects, The Korea Herald reported.

"We will continue to do our best to review all cases from the perspective of customers to enhance trust and satisfaction", Hyundai Motor said.

Like this: