Published: Sun, March 12, 2017
U.S. | By Vera Richards

Muhammad Ali's son detained at U.S. airport for second time

Muhammad Ali's son detained at U.S. airport for second time

Ali said he felt he waswas in Washington, D.C. this week to share that experience with members of Congress as part of a forum about President Donald Trump's immigration policies. When they went through the procedure of airport routines, Homeland Security personnel detained Ali Jr. for 20 minutes.

Wasserman Schultz told Local 10 News reporter Derek Shore that she was approached by Ali Jr.'s attorney after the incident.

The Transport Security Administration has disputed Mr Mancini's version of events, saying in a statement that it did not have the authority to detain passengers.

"I believe they were religiously and racially profiling me", Ali Jr. said during the forum of the first time he was detained on February 7.

He and his mother had come to Washington to lobby to end racial profiling, and he was trying to board a flight back to Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Later on, a photo surfaced via social media, featuring Ali and congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida's 23rd District, posing on a plane.

Uber Works on Mending the Relationship with Regulators
Uber says it will stop using a secretive tool called Greyball to identify certain unwanted users. According to the Times , the Greyball program began in 2014 and is still regularly used by Uber.

"Upon arriving at the airline check-in counter, a call was made to confirm Mr. Ali's identity with TSA officials", they said.

He said the incident happened as he was preparing to board a JetBlue flight from Washington, D.C., to Fort Lauderdale. A friend of the family claimed Ali, a Muslim, was asked about his religion. "Religiously profiling the son of "The Greatest" will not make us safe".

Ali said he felt like his "human rights" were violated.

She said he also was patted down because his jewellery set off a checkpoint scanner alarm. The Department of Homeland Security insisted to the News that he was only held up for about 11 minutes.

Mancini said Ali plans to file a complaint with the DHS and that he is considering a lawsuit.

Muhammad Ali Jr. was detained at an airport was once again on Friday, just a day after testifying before Congress about his previous detainment. What is asked in these interviews varies depending on the situation, he said, but "we have no interest in questioning anyone for two hours about their religion". Ali Jr. was then not allowed to continue to his flight until he produced his US passport, which he ultimately did.

Like this: